Gaskets & Sheet Jointings
Metaflex® – spiral wound gaskets
James Walker Metaflex® gaskets will seal flanges where temperature, pressure, vibration or rates of flow are beyond the capability of conventional jointing materials.
They are wound in V-section metal strip and a softer filler material so that flange faces are presented with a spiral of alternate metal/filler layers.
Pipelines and pressure vessels on steam, petrochemical, nuclear, marine and hydraulic plant; also heat exchangers. Metaflex® Lolode gaskets are recommended for flange joints where bolt
loading is limited.
- Gaskets are made in a wide variety of sizes and shapes.
- Combinations of metal winding strip and filler are selected to suit the specific fluid media and operating conditions.
- Quick to install and remove.
- Operating temperatures from cryogenic up to 1000°C.
- System pressures from high vacuum to over 35MPa/350bar.
- Support rings – inside and/or outside of the spiral – make gaskets suitable for high line pressures on flat or raised flange faces.
- Metaflex® gaskets with graphite or PTFE fillers are certified as meeting TA-Luft emission control requirements.
- Fire test: Metaflex® type SG/IR is certified to API 6FB. This gasket type has stainless steel inner support ring and windings, SPG graphite filler, and carbon steel outer guide ring. For other fire-test certified gaskets, see Metaflex® SG/Fire-Safe and Corrusafe FS (Fire-Safe).
- Products are manufactured in accordance with all relevant gasket standards to suit flange designations: ASME B16.5, BS 1560 (only part 3.2 is still current), ASME B16.47 Series A (MSS-SP44), ASME B16.47 Series B (ASME B16.47 supersedes API 605), BS EN 1092 (supersedes BS 4504); plus DIN, JIS and NF.
Maximum operating temperatures of filler materials
SPG Standard purity graphite (oxiding media): 500°C.
SPG Standard purity graphite (inert/reducing media): 600°C.
SPG Standard purity graphite (steam): 650°C.
HPG High purity graphite (oxidising media): 500°C.
HPG High purity graphite (inert/reducing media): 600°C.
HPG High purity graphite (steam): 650°C.
Fluolion® PTFE: 260°C.
HTF High temperature filler: 1000°C.
Aluminium and lead fillers are also available.
Metaflex gaskets seal up to 35MPa/350bar, although higher pressures can be considered. Please consult our Technical Support Team when considering higher pressures.
Metal winding strips
- Standard materials: Stainless steels to BS EN 10088-2-1.4306 and BS EN 10088-2-1.4404 (formerly Grades 304L and 316L).
- Other materials include a selection of alternative stainless steels, a wide range of nickel alloys, and titanium.
- Standard material: Carbon steel.
- Other materials include a wide range of stainless steels and nickel alloys, and Fluolion® PTFE (inner rings only).
|2.5mm||1.9 – 2.1mm||10mm||300mm|
|3.2mm||2.4 – 2.6mm||10mm||760mm|
|4.5mm||3.2 – 3.45mm||10mm||1520mm|
|7.3mm||4.7 – 4.9mm||60mm||3500mm|
|Non-standard gaskets well in excess of 5000mm are manufactured.|
Almost any combination of component materials is available. Profiles include circular, obround, square, oval and diamond. Gaskets for non-standard flanges are made to order.